I had the opportunity to review the book Pentaho Business Analytics Cookbook published by Packtpub. I have been delayed with this review because most of the time was consumed by the master I have been studying.
But now that I read it, these are my comments:
Pentaho Business Analytics Cookbook is a book that gives you a good overview of the Pentaho Platform, for both the enterprise and community version. For each major part of the platform, except Pentaho Data Integration and Weka, it give you a set of recipes to accomplish the most common tasks. These are the topics covered in each chapter:
- Chapter 1: Getting Familiar with Pentaho User Console
- Chapter 2: Configuring Your BA Server Instance
- Chapter 3: Defining BA Server Data Sources
- Chapter 4: Defining Business Models with the Pentaho Metadata Editor
- Chapter 5: Creating Reports Using Pentaho Interactive Reporting
- Chapter 6: Creating Analysis Reports
- Chapter 7: Creating Reports Using Pentaho Report Designer
- Chapter 8: Creating Dashboards
- Chapter 9: Scheduling Content
- Chapter 10: Working with Pentaho Mobile BI
- Chapter 11: Customizing Pentaho BA to Meet Your Business Needs
All the recipes given are well detailed and written with proper images and steps. This is a great book if you plan to be a Pentaho devop.
From my perspective, the book allowed me to:
- Understand what's new in Pentaho 5, how is the UI organized, how the Pentaho solution is managed on it.
- Grasp a very good understanding of how to use Pentaho Metadata. Pentaho Metadata is a powerfull business abstraction of the physical db model, sadly I never saw a detailed guide about how to use it. The recipes given in the book are quite accurate explaining how to use it.
- Know what is the Pentaho Interactive Reporting. As this feature is only available in the Enterprise version I have never used it. It also give you a good understanding of how WAQR can be used.
- See how is the Ipad mobile version of Pentaho.
I hope this review would be useful for Pentaho newbies,
All the best,